Friday, November 8, 2013

Happy Friday!

I will (hopefully) be posting daily, with anything new and interesting I find as well as what I eat and any recipes associated with the food I have each day.  I have lots of new recipes to try out and will definitely share them!  I appreciate any feedback, and if you have any questions at all, please ask!  If you have any recipes you would like to share, please do so as I love to try out new delicious things. :)


I typically try to change things up when I can as far as my breakfast goes.  I am currently a full time Nursing student, so I don't always have the time to cook breakfast.  On the days I have classes, I typically choose something fast and easy like yogurt and cereal/granola or a protein shake.  Today, I decided to have this lovely green shake.  I use a powder called Rockin' Wellness.  It is pricey, but it is worth it.  It is made of all natural, plant based nutrients.  It is also vegan, and contains a lot of Omegas.  It is recommended that you mix it with any non-animal milk (almond, coconut, etc), but if I have this for breakfast, I usually add it to non-homogenized whole cow's milk, aka Cream Top Milk for added protein.  After bariatric surgery, patients have a higher protein need than someone with a normal stomach.  If I am drinking a 8oz shake for post-workouts, I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk.  If you haven't tried Cream Top milk before and you can find it locally, you should try it!  It has a lighter taste than traditional, homogenized milk and the kind I buy is from a local farm with grass-fed cows.  It is a bit pricier than regular milk, but if I return the glass bottle, I get a deposit, as well as a discount at my local co-op on member days.  They also usually have a lower price on this particular milk for members as well.  Eating whole, non processed food can be expensive and I like to save money just as much as the next person, which is why I joined my local co-op.  I typically will spend more on animal products (meats, butters, cheese and milk) and spend less by buying non-perishables in bulk or online because they are much cheaper.


Anyways...back to today's breakfast :)  I had this lovely concoction, which contained lots of healthy goodies.



It contained 2 scoops of Rockin' Wellness, 1 TBSP Nutribullet Superfood powder, 5 leaves of Dinosaur Kale, 1 banana, 16 oz Whole Cream Top Milk, 1 TBSP Hemp Seeds (I love hemp seeds in shakes, delicious!!), and 1 cup of ice.  Yum.  It is chocolately and really good, it definitely satisfies my sweet tooth and I feel no guilt drinking it because it has so many things in it that are truly nourishing for your body.  It also really helps out with energy in the mornings.  It also keeps me feeling satisfied for hours..I had my shake around 11am and did not have "lunch" until 5pm.  My husband works late so we usually don't have dinner until 9 or 10pm depending on the day of the week.


For Lunch, I decided to pick something up from the store while I was grocery shopping...I love my local co-op for many reasons, but a big reason why I love them so much is because they have an array of fresh, daily made foods that are ready to just take home and cook if I am too busy/tired/lazy to make dinner.  They list all of the ingredients of what they put into the food and let you know where the food came from.  I picked up a few fresh veggie-grain burgers and some freshly made spinach dip.  The dip was...amazing, to say the least. 4 ingredients: spinach, artichokes, feta and lemon juice, blended up into a splendor of flavor.  The veggie burger was placed on a low carb whole grain tortilla with 1 oz of Gouda and two tomato slices.  I had 1/4 c of the dip with English cucumber slices and 2 celery stalks.  I couldn't finish all of my veggies and dip (even though I wanted to, that dip is effing delicious.) because of the veggie burger that was so good I had to try really hard not to stuff it all in my face at once.  My lunch was packed with protein, whole grains, and veggies.  Yet another very tasty, healthy meal with no junk, and it took less than 5 minutes to put together.








I also have challenged myself to train for a 5k (not a specific 5k but I would like to be able to jog one someday), which I started this week.  It is 3 days per week following the Couch to 5k program, and I also am doing a 100 mile walk/jog challenge.  I am basically keeping track of the miles I walk each week, and I would like to get in 100 miles in over the next few months.  I also lift weights but only do that a few times a week.  Today, I walked 3 miles at a brisk 3.5 - 4mph pace (I walk in different intervals of speed), which means so far this week I have done 10 miles.  Feels so good to be back on track!

Happy Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment